Friday, February 4, 2011

On A Mother's Passing


On A Mother’s Passing



On bleak, grey, wintry days my thoughts oft turn to you, whose warming flame flickered out some twenty years ago.
And love, above all else, love.

Hot chocolate, marshmellows, and icy snow cream that froze the brain and brought smiles to chilly souls.
And love, above all else, love.

Meat loaf and creamed potatoes rising like smooth vanilla mountains and baking bread that warmed inside as well as out.
And love, above all else, love.

Mischievous smiles and flashing eyes that charmed a gentler, safer world so different from my own.
And love, above all else, love.

That party spirit like some benign host infecting all you knew with a joy for life; now missed, now missed.
And love, above all else, love.

And love, above all else, love.
Unquestioned love.
Unqualified love.
Unconditional love.

I see you there, frozen as the day, for eternity; hands on hip, head cocked not buying one bit of my well-worn bull.
And love, above all else, love.

Though I am now so far away you are ever near; the smile and spirit and essence that was you.
And love, above all else, love.

I see you on an icebound hill, flush with the ebullience of your youth.
I see you in a kitchen warmed by the magic of your love and touch.
I see you close beside my bed and bend and kiss, “All’s well, all’s well”.

Time has healed the open wound but the scar of your passing still remains.
Time has dulled my memory but the aching void you left behind still remains.
Time has moved on but you wait in a long passed frozen moment that still remains.
Time has eroded the details of the day, stripping them away till all that still remains is the

Love, above all else, love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment