Tuesday, December 31, 2013


Do Over Time

Yes, it is that time of year once again – do over time or redo time or, in golf terms, time for a Mulligan.  New Year’s is here once again and with it comes the annual do over list we lovingly call RESOLUTIONS.  Admit it - most of our resolutions are retreads of things we promised ourselves we would do last New Years, or for many, many New Years past.

I am sure lots of folks are in need of  a do over.  President Obama would probably love a do over on the health care website.  The Republicans would surely like one on the government shutdown.  Although in that regard I have a theory that the only reason that got resolved was because the public was becoming aware of just how little they needed all this governing and that thought petrified all those politicos.  Anthony Weiner in New York would certainly love a do over for 2013 but, wait a minute, wasn’t 2013 a do over for 2012.  I am not sure a back-to-back do over is allowed.  I’ll have to check the rulebook.

The Romans knew what they were doing when they named the first month of the year after the two-faced god Janus who looks behind and ahead at the same time.  As I look back at 2013 I don’t really see any need for any personal do over or at least nor any of any consequence..  It was a good year for me and mine in a lot of ways; the good of the last twelve months far out weighing the bad.  We have a new granddaughter; the health of my family has been good, and, my own health has been fine in spite of all the abuse I give it from time to time.  New people have entered my life while time gives me a growing appreciation for friends that have been with me along this wonderful trail of life, Therefore - no Mulligan for 2013 for me.

Looking ahead I have to admit I don’t make New Years Resolutions anymore.  I ascribe to a certain philosophy that was introduced to me several years ago by one of my favorite songwriters – Warren Zevon.  In 2002 Zevon was diagnosed with an inoperable cancer and given six months to live.  His final public appearance was on the David Letterman show in October of that year and  during the course of his interview Letterman asked him what he might have learned about life and death and Zevon responded by saying, “Enjoy every sandwich.”

This simple statement has become my mantra for life.  If I can just see every day as a sandwich and enjoy every bite, every day becomes an opportunity for a do over; every morning will bring a new resolution, not for the year, just for the day I have been given.  So far every sandwich has been terrific.

Happy New Year everyone and enjoy every sandwich.


No comments:

Post a Comment