Thursday, October 20, 2016

Consider the Plight of Platypus

Consider the Plight of Platypus


Gay, lesbian, or transsexual
I find labels ineffectual
I don’t understand all of the fuss
Consider the plight of the platypus

Is it a mammal or otherwise
Who knows where the real truth lies
If it’s a mammal how does it lay eggs
Why is it said to have “otter legs”

And a beaver tail and bill of a duck
Getting its food from riverbed muck
It seems sometimes the gods are cruel.
Then there’s the problem of the plural

What if under the Australian sun
You should happen on more than one
Do you shout “look and see
There is some platypussy”

If that’s not right I’m not to blame
Perhaps the plural is some other name
Maybe you should point and cry
“Look over there are some platypusi

Some mammals think them strange
And to them say “why don’t you change”
But platy smiles and says “What the fuss”
I am what I am a duck-bill platypus”

“Oh, I know you think us mischievous
Just because we are polygamous
Electroreception makes us only unique
And not some kind of nature freak”


“I know you may think me strange
But I see no need to change
Just because I’m not like you
Doesn’t mean I’m not a mammal too”

So if you’re not exactly the norm
Hang in there and weather the storm
Even if at you someone may cuss
Just consider the plight of the poor platypus

- JGM 10/20/16







No comments:

Post a Comment