Friday, November 18, 2011

Giving Thanks


Giving Thanks

Our minister recently made a list of those things for which he was thankful and challenged the congregation to do the same.  It sounded like a good idea to me so here is my list.


1.   I am thankful for my wife; my best friend and soul mate, still bringing passion and laughter to my life after all these years.
2.   I am thankful for my children and the unique personalities that each possess.
3.   I am thankful for my son-in-law because he loves my daughter, loves baseball and took her credit card debt as his own.
4.   I am thankful for my church; beyond the spiritual aspect it is a community of wonderfully giving people always there when the need arises.
5.   I am thankful for baseball, a religion unto itself.
6.   I am thankful for all those men and women who serve our country so that we may walk this sweet earth as a people both free and equal.
7.   I am thankful to be an American with warts and all still the greatest country on earth.
8.   I am thankful that I don’t have to go through childbirth.  God knew what he was doing when he assigned that job to Woman.
9.   I am thankful for Italy; its food and wine and wonderfully warm people.  If I had to be anywhere else in the world it would be there.
10. I am thankful for Angelina Jolie – no explanation needed.
11. I am thankful to be 64 and hope I continue to get even older.
12. I am thankful for my health and also thankful I have the good     sense not to take it for granted.
13. I am thankful to be able to spend my life in the South where family traditions are still held in high esteem and winters are wonderful…. and short.
14. I am thankful for my parents who shaped what I might become and gave me the freedom to be who I am.
15. I am thankful for dogs and the unconditional love they give.
16. I am thankful my wife didn’t want cats.
17. I am thankful for the young people of the next generation.  I truly believe the world will be in good hands.
18. I am thankful for the friends I’ve had, the friends I have, and the friends yet to come.
19. I am thankful for where I grew up and those friends that I’ve known so long that I can’t even remember the first time we met.  They have just always been there.
20. I am thankful God created cheeseburgers and fires but have to wonder what He was thinking with brussel sprouts and beets.
21. I am thankful for wood fires in winter and air conditioning during South Carolina summers.
22. I am thankful for those that educate our children - even more so after substitute teaching.
23. I am thankful for being given today and hopeful for a tomorrow, not worrying about yesterday.
24. I am thankful for Roy Williams – Go Heels.
25. Finally I am thankful for that uniquely American holiday called Thanksgiving when I am sure to eat less than I want and more than I need while surrounded by those that love me the way I love them.

Okay – now make your own list
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
As Time Goes By.


1 comment:

  1. James, I like #17 because I think quite a lot about the future. I think about our educators and our churches, about sound Biblical models passed down to our children and grandchildren. My prayer is that our children and grandchildren may keep Christ the center of their lives. I enjoyed reading all on your list of thankfulness. #17 stands out, to me, as a top priority. Have a nice Thanksgiving with your sweet wife and family. Sincerely, Miriam Dixon

    ReplyDelete